Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What an awesome trip!

  • Here it is...the low-down on my recent cruise on the Norwegian Getaway.

    As I mentioned in a previous post, I had booked a Studio cabin. I figured that I probably wouldn't be spending a ton of time in the cabin anyway, so an inside cabin would work just fine. It was the least expensive option, anyhow. Connected to the Studio cabins is a Studio lounge, where solo travelers can meet up and hang out. For peace of mind, only those in Studio cabins have access to this area of the ship; a keycard is required to access the whole Studio cabin section and lounge, as well as our own individual cabins. There is a Solos coordinator who handles dinner and show reservations for those groups  of solo travelers who would like to go together;  he did a great job taking care of everything. 

    The food was excellent. I ate mostly at the buffet, Taste, and Savor. I did also try Tropicana and O'Sheehans. With the quality of the food at the complimentary restaurants, I saw no real need to go to the premium restaurants. One thing I would like to note is that the Tropicana can get really noisy between the live music and the ambient noise. I would've liked to have gone more than once, but as someone who has sensory processing issues, I just couldn't handle it. 

    As for entertainment, I saw a dance show, "Burn the Floor" (awesome), and the musical Legally Blonde (excellent). I also enjoyed an evening at the comedy club. I did go to the Glow Party and enjoyed it for a short time before sensory issues got to me and I had to leave (think loud music and lots of people dancing around waving glow sticks).

    With excursions, I enjoyed all of mine. At St. Thomas, I opted for the Eco-Hike at St. John and also took the sky lift to Paradise Point after returning to St. Thomas. At Tortola, I took the excursion to The Baths on Virgin Gorda; my only complaint is that we didn't get enough time to really enjoy the beauty that The Baths has to offer. At Nassau, I took the Seahorse Snorkel and Sail trip. Other than dealing with a leaky mask and a too-big mouthpiece on the snorkel, I had a good time and would go on it again, bringing my own snorkel and mask next time. 

    One thing that really stood out to me on this cruise was the service I got from the crew. On my birthday, I return to my cabin to find it decorated with a big birthday sign and balloons! Talk about making a girl feel special! There was also the birthday cupcake left in my cabin and a larger birthday cake I got when I went to dinner on my birthday night. Throughout the week, I would often come back to my cabin after being out to find little treats like chocolate-covered strawberries, chocolate candy, and even champagne!

    After this cruise, I am definitely hooked on NCL and see no real need to cruise with anybody else. As a matter of fact, I've already booked another cruise on the Escape for the same week next summer.


    Honeymoon Beach on St. John

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing! I have been on 6 cruises but only been on Carnival. You are making my want to try NCL. I want to go on one in November for my birthday with my husband. I just might betray Carnival and try NCL. Sounds like they pamper you alittle more. I am so happy you had a great time. I may take a solo cruise one day.

    ReplyDelete