Thursday, May 29, 2014

Selfishness isn't always a bad thing

In trying to grasp the new freedom that I'm now experiencing, I compiled the following list.

Why being single and unattached is a good thing:
1. I have the bed all to myself!
2. I get to come and go as I please.
3. I can spend more time with the people that i care about the most.
4. Other than God, i don't have to answer to anybody. I have options!
5. Within responsible limits, I can spend my money however I see fit.
6. I am now driving the car I really want and I can put whatever bumper and window stickers on it that I want.
6. If the mood strikes me, I can eat ice cream for dinner.
7. I can pursue my passions to my heart's content.
8. I can decorate my home however I please.
9. I can go out with a different friend of the opposite sex every night of the week if I want.
10. I have been able to find a church that I truly love and want to be an active part of.
11. I can watch whatever I want on TV.
12. In the car, I can listen to whatever kind of music I want to.
13. Seeing as I live by myself, I don't have to worry about anybody leaving the toilet seat up!

As I was going through my divorce, my therapist advised me not to do any serious dating for at least a year. In a way, it does seem a bit restrictive, but it is actually very wise. While I came through my divorce fairly unscathed, I still need time to get my bearings back. I'm not the same person I was before I got married. I need time to just relax and have fun. I need time to restablish what matters to me the most. I just need time to be me. In this case, a bit of selfishness isn't a bad thing.

Yes, I still hold on to the dream that I will get a second chance at love. By choosing selfishness for right now, I'll be a better partner for whomever God may have in mind for me down the road. If I get married again, I want to marry someone who is truly my best friend. Those kind of things just can't be rushed. In the meantime, I seek to learn what it means to be truly content and to make the most of this season in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment