Saturday, July 25, 2015

Before I cruise: inspiration from another solo traveler

Leading up to this cruise, another solo traveler that I love and miss has been on my mind lately. Throughout my life, my Aunt Margaret (my maternal grandfather's baby sister) has been a role model for me. Like me, she was a college graduate (back when not a lot of women graduated from college). Like me, she married at a fairly late age for her generation, and never had any kids. Like me, she found herself single again (widowed) at a fairly young age. She was wise, kind, generous, loving, accepting, and ahead of her time. This coming December will make 15 years that she's been gone. I still miss her.

After Aunt Margaret found herself widowed, she took it as an opportunity to pursue her dreams. She retired from her teaching job and started traveling the world. Oh the places she went! She didn't wait for another man to show up--she just did it! She never did remarry, but that didn't stop her from living a joyful, content life that had an overwhelmingly positive impact on her family, friends, and church.

Aunt Margaret continues to be a role model for me. To me, she is proof positive that a joyful, rich life is possible for a single-again woman. Yes, I would still like to marry again someday. Even if that opportunity never comes, it doesn't mean that my life is over by any stretch of the imagination. I've still got places to go,  people to love on, and positive vibes to spread. In a sense, my life is just beginning!

At some point during this cruise, I will sip on an adult beverage and toast her memory. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment